NYC councilman Jumaane Williams leads national push for gun violence research
- A coalition of city councilmembers from around the country plan to submit formal resolutions urging the federal government to fund research into gun violence - and a New York City councilman is leading the charge.
Councilman Jumaane Williams is one of at least 10 councilmembers nationwide who will ask the Center for Disease Control to examine the nation's gun violence epidemic.
"It's just an obscenity: why anyone would reject the study of violence?" said Williams, who organized the initiatives through his National Network to Combat Gun Violence.
"There really is no rhyme or reason." Congress banned the CDC from researching gun violence in 1996 amid pressure from the NRA.(Excerpt) Read more at: nydailynews.com ...
- Photo credit(s): nydailynews.com
- Gun rights groups like the National Rifle Association said that conservative Justice Antonin Scalia's death Saturday puts gun rights on the line.
- Conservative rocker Ted Nugent believes that gun control is a Jewish-led conspiracy.
- The San Bernardino terror attack in December has renewed a debate over the Second Amendment among local officials.