The record number of migrants and refugees will be registered in Italy at the end of 2016, local media reported on Monday.
Italy: Record 2016 pushes migrant arrivals to over half million
- Nearly a fifth more migrants arrived in Italy by boat this year, setting a record and bringing the three-year total to more than half a million, the Interior Ministry said on Friday.
In commenting on the figures, a ministry official took another swipe at the lack of help from other European Union countries to deal with the crisis.
"And it has done so without a great deal of European solidarity."(Excerpt) Read more at: uk.reuters.com ...
- Photo credit(s): npr.org
- A total of 27,500 migrants and refugees landed on Italian shores in October, the highest figure ever recorded in the central Mediterranean..
- The vice president of the Bundestag, Germany's parliament, fears that the number of Syrian migrants will double due to family reunification laws alone.
- A migrant home in a small German town is costing taxpayers more than €500,000 per month to house just 21 migrants, and other facilities are..
- More than 400,000 refugees are still without jobs in Germany while less than 10 percent are employed, the government's Institute for Labour Research (IAB) found.
- According to an Oxfam study, very few rich western countries have taken action to resettle nearly five million Syrian refugees living in Turkey..
- The head of the European Union border control agency says that about 350,000 migrants have arrived in the EU so far this year.
- NEARLY 40,000 illegal immigrants avoided deportation from Austria by going into hiding, a report has found.