More than 1,750 migrants have been rescued in the Mediterranean within 24 hours, Italy's coast guard said Thursday, as EU leaders prepared for a summit..
3000 migrants rescued off Libya: Italian coastguard
- Around 3,000 migrants were rescued off the coast of Libya on Sunday as they tried to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, the Italian coastguard told AFP.
"After some calm days, migrants are arriving in large numbers, taking advantage of a window of favourable weather," said a coastguard official.
The rescue was undertaken in 22 separate operations coordinated by the Italian coastguard.
One participant was the Aquarius, a humanitarian ship run by the NGO SOS Mediterranean and Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which said it saved 946 people, including 200 unaccompanied minors.(Excerpt) Read more at: thelocal.it ...
- Photo credit(s): thelocal.it
- The European Union is pleading with member countries to step up the relocation of asylum-seekers from Italy and Greece..
- Some 63 North African migrants caused a major uproar in the middle of the night on an Italian ferry Monday, fighting, screaming, stealing, vandalizing, beating..
- Brindisi police on Tuesday arrested two Pakistani citizens for allegedly raping a young Italian man at the Puglia city's train station.
- A Somali man faces charges in Italy for murder, torture and extortion allegedly committed among refugees in Libya after several migrants identified him..