National Front leader Marine Le Pen has taken a commanding lead in the latest French presidential election poll.
Nigel Farage: If Marine Le Pen Wins French Presidential Elections, The EU Is Over
- UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has taken one step closer to backing Front National candidate Marine Le Pen in the French presidential elections in 2017, declaring that if Ms. Le Pen wins, the European Union project will collapse entirely.
Mr. Farage, who has been known to harbour concerns about the Front National as a party, told the Sunday Express newspaper that he will be backing the "utterly respectable Eurosceptic" France Arise candidate in the first round.
"I know her. She's very determined, brilliant on TV. I mean absolutely brilliant," he said, before adding: "When you watch her making her argument and you can see her getting into it she is really good at it. There's lots of baggage and that's the problem."
The baggage he refers to is the Front National's history.
Founded in 1972 by Jean-Marie Le Pen, Marine Le Pen's father, the party hosted some unsavoury characters and Mr. Le Pen himself has been the subject of repeated controversy given his statements minimising the Holocaust amongst a number of other allegedly anti-Semitic comments.
But Ms. Le Pen has sought to move the party away from her father's legacy, provoking a huge public row as a result.(Excerpt) Read more at: breitbart.com ...
- Photo credit(s): breitbart.com
- French Prime Minister Manuel Valls did not rule out Marine Le Pen of the right-wing Front National (FN) party might win the 2017 presidential election..
- THE French presidential race has been rocked after a opinion poll showed leader of the National Front party, Marine Le Pen..
- France's far-right National Front party leader, Marine Le Pen, vowed on Saturday to hold a referendum on whether France stays in or leaves..
- A fiery orator but also a pragmatist, Marine Le Pen has steered France's far-right National Front (FN) from pariah status into the mainstream.